Pre-arrest investigations are conducted prior to an arrest, before charges have been filed by the prosecutor.
DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE BEFORE RETAINING AN ATTORNEY!!!
The best time to hire an attorney is during the pre-arrest investigation. Your attorney can take immediate control of your case.
Although it is not required that the arresting agency release the police report, before the defendant goes to court, sometimes your attorney can talk the police into releasing the report.
By retaining an attorney during the pre-arrest investigation, your attorney may have the opportunity to do any of the following:
- Prevent the filing of charges.
- Reduce the charges to a lesser offense.
- Assist in the surrender and avoid arrest.
- Divert the allegations and bring the case to an informal resolution.
- Make arrangements for bond.